The Fitness Buster - Home
LOCATION: 282 Franklin Street
|
Norwich CT 06360
CALL: 860.857.8689
|
Follow The Fitness Buster on LinkedIn
Follow The Fitness Buster on Twitter
Read The Fitness Buster Blog
Follow The Fitness Buster on Facebook
Home
About Me
Fitness Equipment
Recommended Workouts
Nutrition
Recipes
Fit Bits
Contact The Fitness Buster

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Lesson from Ip Man

Are you a Martial Artist enthusiast? Maybe you just like action films with good fight sequences, I know I do.

Either way, you need to watch the biography about Bruce Lee's Master Ip Man, it is a unbelievable story and I dare to say one of the best martial arts film I have watched. I wasn't about glamour moves that have a ton of wires and crazy moves that you know is just for the movies (although I believe there is a little) but in fact about how a man mastered martial arts through practice and diligence. The movie doesn't even make it clear on what he does for a living, but whatever it is allowed him the life of freedom that made practice a convenience. 

Check out a movie cover
In the photograph you see is Donnie Yen practicing on the famous Wing Chun dummy, something I have never seen in real life. But I know Bruce Lee (I am the biggest fan) used it religiously.

What I took from the movie was simple, Ip Man never cared about theory, he cared about results. He made it very clear in a practice bout between himself and a young man that was a restaurant owner. The kid asks to practice because he learned some new moves from his master that he wanted to try out (although it was more of a way to get Ip Mans opinion). Well soon into Ip beating him to a practice pulp, he turned to the young man and said, "stop reciting theory and just hit your target."

Man did that statement resonate with me, have you ever felt like you will get started with something after you learn just one more thing? Or maybe that you can not start your new mission for fear that you may screw something up?

 I know I do, in fact until recently I found myself in what I have heard to be paralysis by analysis for over 2 years. See I have always been athletic (top tier athlete on every team I have played on) but never the very best on the team or at any one thing. Just a well rounded athlete. I liked to challenge myself with exercises and goals that were totally out of my realm (except dancing :) I have to left feet lol).

I always loved the challenge of something new but more importantly I would never stop because someone said so. Well I have been making the transition from the life of a student, child, adolescent into the man that has emerged on the other side. A gym owner, recreational athlete, hobby seller dweller....

But during the course of what we will sum up as my quarter life crisis I changed. I stopped challenging myself to keep working hard and trying new things. Instead I got stuck in the educational bubble that sucks you in like the most powerful vacuum. I forgot that you only get good at what you practice, and learned education is only as good as what is put to use. Simply put, actions speak louder than words.

Thanks for the lesson Ip Man, you have set me on the path to trail blaze my way back to the "Action Taking" trail my life's journey started on. 


If you haven't seen the movie it is definately worthy of your movie collection. Check out Amazon they have it for a great price.

1 comment:

  1. I jut randomly came across your page while looking for pictures of the wing chun dummy, and all i could say was that you couldn't have put it in better words. That movie had the same affect on me. Stop living by words and start living through your moves. Reading your post made me actually rewatch the movie just so I can have that feeling again. Thank you for sharing a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete